An ability to resolve work according to the objectives defined in your proposal
My initial proposal aims and objectives were as follows. I will speak about each one in turn:
To make a (very lateral) history of language and meaning using the word ‘all’ as my focus.
The focus has shifted here from history to documentary snapshot. The project is about people’s perception of the word’s history and present as opposed to the history itself. I am using the internet to help me get the viewer to be part of producing that snapshot.
I made a better version of my symposium video. It’s a bit edited and has some colours.
People said this was too fast so I’ve slowed it down a bit. I’m still not that happy with it. It describes a few things about the way I’ve approached the project though. The text is copied and pasted below as well.
In my project, I set out to make a history of the word ‘all’. I have decided to approach this by making a questionnaire. I will ask people to help me in compiling a database of thoughts about this word. The project has become more of an assessment of the word’s present state with a view to looking both backward and forward.
I’d like to invoke our old friend Marcel Duchamp and his increasingly familiar lecture ‘The Creative Act’. In this lecture he said that the audience has always been crucial in completing an artwork, in the way they bring their own thoughts and experience to it. In this piece I’m making that viewer process the focus of the work. I think thinking was probably always going to be the more exciting bit of this project, not looking, as in a lot of art. That’s the nature of the linguistic and philosophical questions I’m dealing with.
Learning Outcome 1 – Practical and critical skills – also – Learning Outcome 2 – Debate and evaluation
These two learning outcomes are quite tied together for me in this unit.
Where I was in April
At the beginning of this unit I was talking about having layered ‘moments’ from history that the viewer would experience all at once. They were going to be multi media, some would be computer based and projected. Some would be printed photographs and bits of paper. Some would be objects. So it was going to be gallery based. There was going to be a level of interactivity but i wasn’t really sure what. Basically, I wanted to make something that was similar to horror vacui art. A space full of stuff. I’m still interested in doing this, if I can find the right context.
Where I am in November
This space full of mess approach has disappeared and now I’m doing a questionnaire. It’s online and the home audience member is at an advantage over someone seeing it in a gallery as they’ll have more time. I still want it to be viewable in a gallery. It’s all quite streamlined, and might stay that way. The more streamlined I get it the more I like it. An important part of my unit three could be doing things and then not using them even though I like them.
So how and why has this happened? Why did I change my mind?
I’ve done three versions. One main one and two using less of the same ingredients.
1 – questionnaire with both flash and backing pixel picture.
This is the key one. I’ve talked about the flash bits in my previous posts. I talk about the backing pixel pictures below. They were originally made to go behind the flash relatively unobtrusively. I’m now wondering if they’re not just better than the flash bits.
Here’s the list of moments I’ve kept waffling on about in my essay and presentations. I use the word moment because I think the best way of looking at this history is to break it down in to a few snapshot moments. I don’t like the word moments that much but can’t think of anything better. I’m not saying these will defnitely be the ones I’ll use, but they’re what I’m looking at for the moment.
Here are a few points that should illustrate most of where my mind is with this…
1 – I think the words history, word and all are perhaps not quite equally important parts of my title but the first two shouldn’t be forgotten. I’d chosen them before I chose the word all, after all. I sometimes feel like I’m making a project about absolutely everything. I’m not. It’s about the history of a word. I want to look at the word’s use and misuse, with a view to examining language in the process. A significant part of this is looking at the images and ideas that flood into people’s minds when they hear the word. Which leads me on to part two of this post.
Here's my proposal as it is at the moment. It still needs work in several areas.
And here's my proposal presentation. This repeats a lot of what is in the proposal but it's a bit more concise.